Thursday, May 7, 2009

Possibly Keratosis Pilaris?

Okay, for as long as I can remember, I've had really big red bumps on my upper arms, thighs, shins, and lower back. I think they're red, at least; they might be red because my skin color is red, or maybe they'd be red anyway.





Right. Anyway, I went to some doctors and they gave me cortizone shots with absolutely no effect, so they said there was nothing they could do. Now, I find out that I might have Keratosis Pilaris. Only one problem- KP is pretty common, but I have never seen anyone with what I have.





It's like I have little shells where my hair follicles should be. Seriously, you can't cut me where the bumps are- it just glances off and scratches me (unless I get stabbed or something, I'm sure). It doesn't break skin.





It's pretty ugly. I can pick them and release the hair inside, but it just grows back. This seems like KP on steiroids, because KP is, according to my research, mostly UNDER the skin, not on top of it.





Could it be something else?

Possibly Keratosis Pilaris?
Yep, that sounds like KP. I have it also with eczema. I've learned to get used to it. Before I would pick at it to see if it would go away, but it won't. Just don't worry about it and accept it as part of who you are. To lessen the appearance of redness, moisterize the areas.
Reply:probable KP. Not harmful. Leave it alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment